AAC Publications - http://publications.americanalpineclub.org

Scalded by Boiling Water, British Columbia, Purcell Mountains, Bugaboo Group

SCALDED BY BOILING WATEB

British Columbia, Purcell Mountains, Bugaboo Group

On August 4, 1990, C.F. and B.F. were cooking in camp above Conrad Kain Hut when a pot of boiling water was knocked off a Svea stove and over the boots of C.F. Second- degree burns to both ankles resulted. The victim was evacuated from the hut by helicopter. (Source: Fred Stanley, Lee Tibbert)

Analysis

Although this accident did not involve climbing, it is included because mountaineers far from help are occasionally left injured or without shelter because of a mishap with a stove. (Source: Orvel Miskiw, AAC Calgary Section)