American Alpine Jounrna and Accidents in North American Climbing

Scalded by Boiling Water, British Columbia, Purcell Mountains, Bugaboo Group

  • Accident Reports
  • Accident Year:
  • Publication Year: 1991

SCALDED BY BOILING WATEB

British Columbia, Purcell Mountains, Bugaboo Group

On August 4, 1990, C.F. and B.F. were cooking in camp above Conrad Kain Hut when a pot of boiling water was knocked off a Svea stove and over the boots of C.F. Second- degree burns to both ankles resulted. The victim was evacuated from the hut by helicopter. (Source: Fred Stanley, Lee Tibbert)

Analysis

Although this accident did not involve climbing, it is included because mountaineers far from help are occasionally left injured or without shelter because of a mishap with a stove. (Source: Orvel Miskiw, AAC Calgary Section)

This ANAM article has been reformatted into HTML. Please contact us if you spot an error.