AAC Publications - http://publications.americanalpineclub.org

Washington, Hozameen Peak

Washington, Hozameen Peak—On August 22, in good weather, a party of four climbers, all from Vancouver, British Columbia departed from

Camp Hozameen on Ross Lake in northwest Washington to climb Hoza- meen Peak about two miles south of the Canadian border. They intended to establish a camp part way up the mountain and to complete the ascent the following day. The party was ascending a rocky stream bed which had a moderate slope with a few ledges. It is believed that a rock rolled under the foot of the injured climber (Romeo Quinter, 20–30) as he stepped forward and that his heel caught resulting in a stationary fall. One hand was severely cut and both bones of the right leg were broken just above the ankle. The accident occurred about 3:00 p.m. First aid was administered by the party and one man was sent out to make a report. He arrived at Camp Hozameen about 5:00 p.m. and a radio report went from there to Ross Power House of Seattle City Light.

A three man party was flown in to Hozameen Lake and a four man party consisting of the forest ranger, two City Light employees, and the climber who made the report started for the scene about nightfall. A twenty-four man party of Mountain Rescue Council members was dispatched from Seattle, Everett, and Paine Air Force Base to Diablo Dam and transported from there by City Light to Camp Hozameen. A Royal Canadian Navy helicopter arrived at the same time and a second member of the climbing party arrived shortly after. A flight over the accident scene indicated that an air lift could not be made without too great a risk. The Mountain Rescue group left the camp about 8:30 a.m.

The parties which departed the night before arrived at the accident scene about 11:00 a.m., prepared the climber for transportation and descended with him about 500 feet of elevation when they were met by the Mountain Rescue group. Together they carried him about three and a half miles to a trail and by trail a mile and a half to Camp Hozameen. From here he was flown by helicopter to Vancouver.

Source: MRC Newsletter—October 6, 1959.

Analysis: This accident happened to a highly experienced party under ordinary circumstances and no errors of judgement, safety precautions, or techniques were involved.