Garnergrat-Chronick, issued by the Gornergrat Railway Co., 62 pages, illustrated. Brigue: 1958.
This is a pleasant brochure commemorating the 60th anniversary of the Gornergrat railroad through 30 summers and 30 combined summer and winter seasons. The story begins with the earliest travelers, and their means and routes of access. It recounts the building of hotels and the coming of climbers; the influx of tourists and the advent of skis. The Visp-Zermatt railroad was begun in 1888 and reached Zermatt in 1891. The first four locomotives were named "Matterhorn,” "Monte Rosa,” "Mischabel” and "Gornergrat.” The road was electrified 40 years later. The Gornergrat stretch was opened in August, 1898, a few days after the start of the Simplon tunnel, and by October had transported at least 5000 visitors. In 1956 the aerial extension along the Hohtälligrat toward the Stockhorn was finished and made accessible a new area of ski fields. The booklet is illustrated by facsimiles of old prints and signatures, as well as by a group of admirable photos.
J. Monroe Thorington