North America, United States, Wyoming, The Rabbit Ears
The Rabbit Ears. These two pinnacles lie near the center of the northwest ridge of the Grand Teton, which forms the western boundary of Valhalla Canyon. On July 17, 1957 Fred Ayres and Leigh and Irene Orten- burger found the south pinnacle exposed and sharp but not difficult. It probably had been climbed before by one of the two parties which had ascended the northwest ridge of the Grand Teton, or possibly by Hans Kraus’s party in 1945. The north pinnacle, however, was overhanging on all sides. Many pitons for direct aid were used by Fred in his fine lead up its north ridge. The absence of a summit cairn or a rappelling piton or sling indicated that this was a first ascent of one of the more spectacular pinnacles of the park.