Appalachian Mountain Club, 1946. The Appalachian Mountain Club resumed most of its pre-war activities during 1946. The mountaineering training provided by local rock climbing, which had to be sharply curtailed during the war because of a dearth of competent leaders and the transportation difficulties, was recommenced on a large scale; and many one-day and weekend climbs were organized, both locally and in the White Mountains. A large number of new climbers were initiated into the sport in this program. The August Camp was held at Mt. Katahdin in Maine. Although no rock climbing was carried on, two ascents of the well known “Chimney” were made.
A western trip was run to the Sangre de Cristo Range in Colorado, during which a number of climbs were made despite the bad weather. The camp was attended by a number of members who were also members of the American Alpine Club, among them M. Beckett Howorth, Nathaniel L. Goodrich, Albert H. Jackman and Henry S. Hall, Jr. Among the peaks climbed were Spread Eagle Peak (13,400 ft.), Kit Carson (14,100 ft.), Humboldt (14,044 ft.), Crestone Needle (14,191 ft.) and Marble (13,200 ft.).
A number of members, most of whom are also members of the American Alpine Club, attended the camp of the Alpine Club of Canada in the Bugaboo section of the Purcell Range and completed a number of climbs in that region. Several members participated in the Harvard Mountaineering Club’s successful trip to Mt. St. Elias last summer, while a number of others made a private trip under Douglas M. Brown, of Meriden, Conn., to the southeastern section of Alaska, where a number of glaciers were measured. The principal emphasis was placed on the measurements of the Muir, McBride, Margery, Grand Pacific and Le Conte Glaciers; and the results of the measurements were transmitted to William B. Osgood Field of the American Geographical Society. Sound recordings of the calving of icebergs from the glacier faces were made with a wire recorder supplied by the General Electric Company. Botanical collections were made for Professor William S. Cooper of the University of Minnesota.
K. A. H.